Our group has graduated 37 PhDs and 29 Mphils. We have supervised more than 100 independent study projects for MscIT/MscBDT students and about 100 UROP projects.
We provide a very friendly learning environment for students and
have attracted many talented students in the past including 10 Hong Kong PhD Fellowship Award Winners, 11 HKUST academic achievement award winners (top 1% students), and students ranked among top 5 of their grades from Tsinghua University, Zhejiang University,
Shanghai Jiaotong University, Xi'an Jiaotong University, University of Science and Technology, Nanjing University, Huazhong University of Technology, Wuhan University, South China University of Technology, Sun Yat-sen University, and Shandong University.
Students (from UG, Mphil, to PhD) in our group have received various prestigious awards under my supervision.
The graduate students from our group have taken positions in Microsoft Research Asia, FaceBook Applied AI (USA), Amazon AWS AI (USA), Bloomberg AI (USA), AirBnB, IBM Watson, Siemens, Hong Kong Government, Shenzhen University, Zhejiang University, University of Electronic Science and Technology of China, Google USA, Google London, JP Morgan,
Oracle Shenzhen, United Bank of Switzerland, Goldman Sachs, WeBank, etc. Two students have been selected by China's 1000 Talented Youth Program (国家青年千人计划）,
which is one of the most prestigious talent programs for young scientists in China. Fourteen students are now or will be faculty members. The undergraduate students pursue PG in Stanford, CMU, UIUC, Georgia Tech, University of Washington, Duke, New York University, etc.
We closely work with industry and our group is very well funded. The technologies we developed have been adopted by Microsoft, IBM, Huawei and Tencent, and results have appeared in various journal covers, brochures, and webpages (see Gallery ).
Selected undergraduate students, research assistants, and visiting interns
About our research topics: Big Data Visualization | Urban Informatics | Social Network and Large Graph | E-Learning
Group Info: VisGroup Photos | Lab Culture | Collaboration with Industry
Highlights of student and student supervision achievements:
- 24 students have won more than 40 times of China National Scholarship
- 11 students won Hong Kong PhD Fellowship
- 16 students won HKUST Overseas Research Award (2 - 6 months scholarship with HK$8K per month)
- 9 students won HKUST Academic Achievement Medal (This is the highest academic honor for UG graduates)
- 5 teams of students won Best FYP (Final Year Project) Award (Ranked among top 5 in the history of this award: https://www.cse.ust.hk/ug/fyp/bestfyp/ )
- 3 students won UROP (Undergraduate Research Opportunity Program) Research Award
- 5 students won IBM PhD Fellowship, Huawei PhD Fellowship, Google Anita Borg Memorial Scholarship, and MSRA PhD Fellowship Nomination Award respectively
- Our students won 17 best papers/honorable mention awards, 2 IEEE VAST Challenge awards, 3 ICT (HKICT and APICT) awards
- Our students won Yelp Dataset Challenge Round 10 Grand Prize Award (The first team in Asia to win this award in 10 years)
- Our students won SENG PhD Research Excellence Award (only 3 from more than 100 PhD graduates at the School of Engineering that year); 2 students won SENG PhD Fellowship (HK$43K); 4 students won SENG Top Rpg award (HK$20K); 1 PhD graduate won RGC postdoc fellowship.
- 2 students was awarded China's 1000 Talented Youth title (国家青年千人计划）
- 14 graduated PhD students are now or will soon be faculty members in major universities in China (Zhejiang University, Tongji University, Sun Yat-Sung University, ShanghaiTech University, University of Electronic Science and Technology, Shenzhen University), Singapore (Singapore Management University), UK (New Castle University), and US (University of Minnesota, University of California at Davis, Texas A&M University)
- 10 graduated PhD students work in research labs like MSRA, Facebook AI, Bloomberg AI, Bosch Research, Siemens, Huawei Noah's Ark Labs, Sinovation Ventures AI, and WeBank AI
- 9 graduated PhD students are or were postdocs at Harvard (Aoyu Wu; Qianwen Wang; Zhutian Chen), MIT (Dongyu Liu), CMU (Meng Xia), ETH (Furui Cheng), Edinburgh (Xinhuan Shu), Northwestern (Yifang Wang), Cornell University (Xingbo Wang)
An infographics by my student LI Quan shows the VisLab alumni.
2023 AI2000 Most Influential Scholar Award (Ranked No. 2 in the world)
My student WU Aoyu is a finalist of SENG PhD Research Excellence Award (only 1 winner and 2 finalists from School of Engineering)
My student WU Aoyu won Inaugural CSE Best Dissertation Award (only 1 from CSE)
My student LI Haotian won 2022 MSRA PhD Fellowship (only 12 from Asia)
My student YUAN Linping won 2022 Style3D Graduate Fellowship (only 2 from Hong Kong)
We received an honorable mention award at ACM CHI 2022
We received 4 best paper honorable mention awards at IEEE VIS 2021
My student WU Aoyu won MSRA PhD Fellowship (only 11 from Asia)
I am inducted to IEEE Visualization Academy . Induction into the Visualization Academy is the highest and most prestigious honor in the field of visualization. Due to COVID-19, the ceremony is conducted virtually online at the Opening Session of IEEE VIS 2020 Conference.
AI2000 Most Influential Scholar Award
We won Best Short Paper Honorable Mention Award in IEEE VIS 2019
We honor Best Poster Award in IEEE VIS 2019
Our "Pulse of HKUST" won APICTA 2019 Merit Award in Research and Development Category
Our "Pulse of HKUST" won HKICT 2019 Student Innovation (Post-Graduate) Gold Award (WU Aoyu, KU Bon-kyung, Tong Wai, YANG Leni)
We won an award from CCF (China Computer Federation)
Out students won multiple hackathon/competition awards.
My student LIU Dongyu and XU Panpan won IEEE VAST 2018 best paper award
An infographics showing our achievements by my student WANG Yun using her InfoNice tool in Microsoft PowerBI
An infographics showing the career paths of our first 15 PhDs by my student CHEN Qing
Our paper won Yelp Dataset Challenge Round 10 Grand Prize Award and Yao is invited to visit Yelp USA. About the award
Two teams won best FYP (final year project) under my supervision
We received an ACM CHI 2018 Honorable Mention Award
I am voted as one of "Teachers I Like" by Outstanding Students (i.e., CGA>= 3.85) in multiple years, including 4 years in a row (e.g., 2015-2016, 2016-2017, 2017-2018, 2018-2019).
I received a UROP faculty award for supervising GU Qiao who won 2018 Mr. Armin and Mrs. Lillian Kitchell Undergraduate Research Award Second Runner-UP
We received the Multi-Challenge Award: Compelling Synthesis of Information at IEEE VAST Challenge 2017
We received a Distinguished Collaborator Award from Huawei Noah's Ark Lab
My students Qing Chen and Yi Yang received the Honorable Mention Award in Visualization Contest for Public Welfare on the Cloud organized by Alibaba.
About The Competition
We won Bronze Award of ASM Technology Award 2016 with UG students CHAN Yeuk Yin, CHOW Ho Yin, NG Andy for project "Big Data Analytic Platform for Financial Market Prediction and Visualization".
About ASM Technology Award Media
We won an honorable mention paper award at ChinaVis 2016.
We won two awards at the IEEE Pacific Visualization Symposium 2016 .
About IEEE Pacific Visualization
My students Yeuk Yin Chan and Abishek Puri won two awards at 2016 Mr. Armin and Mrs. Lillian Kitchell Undergraduate Research Award.
About UROP Award
Our VisMOOC won another award: Merit in E-Learning at APICTA'15.
My student WANG Yun won the Google Anita Borg Memorial Scholarship Asia Pacific.
About the scholarship
We won an Honorable Mention Award for IEEE VAST Grand Challenge 2015
About IEEE VAST Challenge
Two UG students (CHEN Shaoyu and ZOU Yuxuan) under my supervision won an Award in The IEEE VGTC VPG International Data-Visualization Contest 2015.
About IEEE VGTC VPG International Data-Visualization Contest.
We won the HKICT Best Innovation (Innovative Technology) Silver Award with our VisMOOC system.
About the award
We won the 2014 Higher Education Scientific and Technological Progress Award (Second Class) presented by the Ministry of Education of China.
News from SENG ;
We won the Honorable Mention for Best Paper Award at the IEEE VAST 2014 with paper
"LoyalTracker: Visualizing Loyalty Dynamics in Search Engines" by Conglei Shi, Yingcai Wu, Shixia Liu, Hong Zhou, and Huamin Qu.
Another Honorable Mention Award is won by our previous group member Nan Cao.
About the conference
We won the Best Paper Award at the 7th International Symposium on
Visual Information Communication and Interaction (VINCI 2014) with paper "Parallel Coordinates with Data Labels" by
Hong Zhou, Panpan Xu, Zhong Ming and Huamin Qu.
About the conference
My student CHEN Qing, WANG Yun, and their team members
won the top prize in the HKUST-CAA joint course "Design Thinking" project competition.
Youtube Video about the project
About the Design Thinking Course
Our paper won the best paper award at the CAD/CG 2013.
My student Nan Cao
won SENG Research Excellence Award 2012/2013 (one of three from the engineering school).
About SENG PhD Research Excellence Award
SENG PhD Research Excellence Awards 2012/13
My student Conglei Shi
won Overseas Research Award 2012/2013 and SENG PhD Fellowship (1 of 4 from CSE).
About SENG PhD Fellowship Award
About Overseas Research Awards
My student Weiwei Cui
won IBM PhD Fellowship 2010/2011 (1 of 2 from Hong Kong).
The photo is taken outside
the department office. The background figure is from our paper "Knowledge
Discovery by Network Visualization".
Our paper "Perception-Based Transparency Optimization
for Direct Volume Rendering" receives Honorable Mention for Best Paper
Award at IEEE Visualization 2009.
receives an IBM Faculty Award 2009.
Mphil student Wing-Yi Chan receives HKICT Best Innovation and Research
(College and Undergraduates) Silver Award by visualizing air quality data, which is based on our paper "Visual Analysis of The Air Pollution Problem in Hong Kong"
My Mphil student Peter Chung won Professor Samuel Chanson Best Teaching Assistant Award.
A UG team under my supervision won
Professor Samuel Chanson Best Final Year Project Award at 2009.
A UG team under my supervision won
Professor Samuel Chanson Best Final Year Project Award at 2008.